Thursday, November 19, 2009

5 Perfect Questions

I think the idea of a beginner’s mind, one I’ve paid more than lip service too for the better part of two years, might be good in many circumstances but I’m beginning to see when the insight of an expert is required.

The beginner’s mind allows us to appreciate the things we encounter without prejudice. It’s extremely difficult. We’ve got years of support for the ideas we hold and to be able to set those things aside in order to experience something as if for the first time requires a discipline that few are capable or willing to execute. The barriers are not unique to our society today, but there is clearly an argument to be made regarding the “noise” that immerses us daily, hourly and by the minute. And let’s be honest, those predetermined feelings and reactions that we have serve a very important purpose – no less than survival.

Which leads to the power of expertise. There are situations that demand that we take action based on previous experience. Beyond that everyday expertise, there are those that seem to be gifted with an insight that knows when it’s right to take a new route, when a stranger is to be trusted (or not) and whether the water is too deep to cross.

Many situations demand one skill or the other. I have no need for expertise, for instance, when I watch the sunrise or see Makenzie’s face beam with pride and joy when she blasts through a puddle on her bike. Conversely I would argue that I do not need a beginner’s mind when confronted with a storm high on a fourteener. And clearly there are times when both are needed.

But it’s difficult to flip from one to the other – just as it is when looking at an optical illusion of a 3D cube or the negative space of an image. What I would like to develop is a series of questions that could be used to evaluate any given situation with both expertise and openness. Something I could have available in my wallet or coat pocket. Maybe tattooed.

I’ll start with questions that would help to determine the relevance, severity, return and consequence of the situation (expertise). Then I’d work through issues of legitimacy, assumptions and point of view (beginner’s mind). Formulating and evaluating solutions would come next, and I’d try to develop these with a hybrid approach – one that takes the viewpoint of other individuals or disciplines into account as well as my own along with novel or non-traditional solutions that may prove effective. Finally, I’d evaluate the solution in the same manner that I did the situation – the relevance, severity, return and consequence – short and long term.

I’ll limit this to five questions: a convenient number for one hand. I welcome your input and encourage you to stay tuned. I plan on having this complete within the month.

Okay, time to get out and ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment